Friday, March 18, 2011

A Little Warmth, Odds and Ends

Thursday, March 10, 2011 - Long Beach, CA

We've had two wonderful spring-like days in a row here in Southern California. It's amazing how much an upturn in the weather can improve my mood. Even though I've spent the bulk of the last two days indoors, just walking thru the sunshine on my way from class to class or to the library was a glorious feeling. As a native of the Los Angeles Basin I of course consider endless perfect sunny days to be my birthright - and if I don't get them I feel cheated. And too many rainy and/or just overcast and dreary days in a row can really make me both angry and depressed. Combine such days with overwork, illness, and lack of sleep and I can get very cranky indeed. I don't understand how people can live in places like London or Philadelphia or even San Francisco. I would become suicidal in a matter of weeks, at least in regards to the first two. I'm sure I'll end my days in someplace like Hawaii or Florida. My bones crave heat more and more with each passing year ...

Lots of little things going on tomorrow. Heading over to my accountant's office to sign my tax form (I owe money this year, which really sucks) and then I'll start the process of getting a new passport. Along with these errands I hope to do laundry and get a ton of work done for school. Not exciting stuff, but then I've given up on much interesting happening to me until this semester is over.

Getting deeper into the Michael Palin diaries. Still enjoying them. Picked up from the LB public library a copy of Suze Rotolo's memoir on the time she spent with Bob Dylan in the early 1960s in Greenwich Village. I've been meaning to read it for a while. She died this week, which put the book back into the front of my mind. Shitty reason to remember a book. Get the feeling from the reviews that I'm going to enjoy it, which will make her death all the sadder.

No comments: