Friday, May 13, 2011

Just Checking In

Sunday, May 1, 2011- Long Beach, CA

Getting back to the diary after not touching it for a couple of weeks. I haven't been writing for all the same old boring reasons: I've been too busy with work, which means I don't have much time to write and little to write about except more about how I'm totally over this semester. So I decided to give it all a miss for a bit. In fact, I'm mostly still just giving it a miss - I just thought I'd write a bit just to check in, so to speak ...

Like I said, teaching has been crazier than usual. But it is rapidly coming to an end. Two classes finish in a week and a half and the week after that I lose three more. That leaves just one class to finish off. Then it's a mad dash to get some things done before I head off to Greece, head off to freedom ...

I have been doing some interesting reading, though. I just finished Raymond Chandler's The Little Sister, which was good. Marlowe's getting bitter and thoroughly disgusted with the world in this one (the story revolves around Hollywood film types, which explains a lot of his growing revulsion). Though I enjoyed it, I think this will be my last Chandler book for a while: I'm getting a bit burned out on his stuff. I went thru a big Sci-Fi phase a while back and I seem to be drifting back in that direction. Right now I'm about halfway thru Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein, which is a book I somehow missed growing up. I've also got Stand On Zanzibar, by John Brunner, on my to-read shelf. I haven't given up on the crime fiction, though. I think I'm going to start reading Ross MacDonald alongside the Sci-Fi stuff ...

Well, that's it. Like I said, I just thought I'd check in here a bit. In a few weeks things will begin opening up like crazy and then the diary will hopefully take off. Until then, I'll just keep moving forward thru the boredom an the stress ...

No comments: