Sunday, April 15, 2012

Following Up

Sunday, April 15, 2012—Long Beach, CA

Still sick. It’s turned out to be a relatively minor head cold, but it’s still a drag. At least the sore throat has mostly gone away (I hate sore throats by far more than about any other cold/flu symptom). Even though I’m feeling better I’ve been having a lazy day. Other than going to the grocery store and putting in some work on the Edgewater cover I’ve just been lounging around the house, listening to the Angels game (they’re down 8-5 to the Yankees as I write this) and watching a little TV. I have a lecture I really need to write, but I’m not feeling it. I’ll try and get a little start later on it, I think, and then leave the rest of it for tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, I’m going to be reading a couple poems at an Earth Day poetry reading at IVC at noon. I don’t think it’s going to be a big deal, but it’s been a long time since I’ve read in public (a few years, at least), and it will be nice to do that again. I’m a little worried about my voice; my cold’s made it a little ragged. But like I’ve said it’s only couple of poems, so I’m not stressing it. No matter how it goes it will be a nice way for me to get back out into the literary world. It’s been far too long since I’ve read, far too long since I’ve published. I’m now fully ready to get my work out there. It would be nice to look back on this little reading as the beginning of something much better.

Not much else going on. Between my IVC interview, work, and getting sick there hasn’t been much time for anything else. I’m still getting very antsy about not having time to work on Sunshine Seas. I’ve had some ideas for essays I’d also like to explore a bit. I know, though, that I just have to be patience, that a few weeks from now I’ll finally be free from my grinding schedule. Still reading Chomsky, Gary Snyder, and finishing up On Bear’s Head, the Philip Whalen book I’ve been reading. Feeling a little better about the interview I had Friday (I still think it went like crap, but I’m caring less about that). Ready for summer. Really ready for summer.

No comments: